MAKES 2 LOAVES OR 12 ROLLS
Preparation: 25 min
Resting time: 40 min
Baking: 30-40 min
• 4 x 250 ml (4 c) flour
• 10 ml (2 t) salt
• 10 ml (2 t) sugar
• 1 packet (10 g) instant yeast
• 60 g butter
• 125 ml (½ c) sour cream
• 125 ml (½ c) lukewarm milk
• 375 ml (1½ c) cooked mashed potato
• 1 egg
• 125 ml (½ c) chopped chives
• extra milk and flour
Preheat the oven to 190 °C. Grease a baking tray.
1. Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
2. Heat the butter and add the sour cream and milk. Add the potato and mix until smooth. (The fixture should be lukewarm).
3. Add the potato mixture to the dry ingredients, mix and knead well until the dough is smooth and no longer sticks to your hands. Cover and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled in volume.
4. Cut and form 2 round loaves or 12 rolls. Cut a cross in the bread or slits in the rolls. Place on the greased baking tray, brush with milk and sift extra flour over. Cover lightly with plastic and allow to rise until doubled in volume.
5. Bake the loaves for 30-40 minutes or the rolls for 15-20 minutes. Serve lukewarm with jam.
Tip Place a sausage in each roll and fold to enclose in the dough. Make cuts in the top. Bake until cooked or fry in shallow oil.