- 4 medium Wildeklawer sweet onions, finely chopped
- 7 medium mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium Wildeklawer potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper mixture
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth (or prepared chicken broth)
- 1 packet of white sauce mix, prepared (or 2 cups homemade white sauce)
- 250g strongly flavoured Cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and sliced mushrooms to the pot. Sauté them until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes, salt and pepper mixture, and chicken broth to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Prepare the white sauce according to the instructions on the packet (or make homemade white sauce).
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add the prepared white sauce to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Add the strongly flavoured Cheddar cheese to the soup and stir until the cheese has melted and the soup is creamy and smooth.
- Continue to cook the soup for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the flavours to meld together.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and serve the creamy sweet onion and potato soup hot. Enjoy!
Note: You can garnish the soup with some fresh herbs or additional grated cheese if desired.