Roasted Wildeklawer carrots make a delicious meal because they transform humble carrots into a delightful culinary experience. The process of roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots, creating a tender and caramelised texture that is incredibly satisfying. The touch of cinnamon adds a warm and comforting aroma, while the tangy and creamy feta cream provides a luxurious contrast. To top it off, the vibrant Wildeklawer carrot leaf pesto bursts with fresh flavours, elevating the dish to a whole new level. This recipe is from Cora de Kock’s book, Reënboogkos.
It’s a simple yet impressive dish that will elevate any meal. Let’s get started!
For the carrots:
* 500 g medium-sized carrots with leaves
* ½ teaspoon cinnamon
* Juice of 1 lemon
* Olive oil
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 50 ml sweet chili sauce
For the pesto:
* 2 cups carrot leaves
* 50 ml pine nuts
* 1 small garlic clove
* 125 ml grated Parmesan cheese
* 80 ml olive oil
* 7 ml lemon juice
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* 300 g thick Greek yogurt
* 150 g feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. Rinse the Wildeklawer carrots and leaves thoroughly, ensuring they are free of any dirt.
3. Separate the leaves from the carrots and set them aside for later use.
4. Place the carrots in a baking dish and drizzle them with the juice of one lemon and a generous drizzle of olive oil.
5. Sprinkle cinnamon, salt, and pepper over the carrots, ensuring they are evenly coated.
6. Roast the carrots in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are tender and slightly caramelised.
7. While the carrots are roasting, prepare the pesto. Begin by roasting the pine nuts in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until they are fragrant and lightly golden. Be sure to stir them occasionally to prevent burning.
8. In a food processor, combine the roasted pine nuts, garlic clove, carrot leaves, grated Parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Process until a smooth and vibrant pesto is formed.
9. In a separate bowl, mix the thick Greek yogurt and crumbled feta cheese until well combined.
10. Once the carrots are roasted to perfection, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly.
11. To serve, spread a generous dollop of the feta cream on a serving platter.
12. Arrange the roasted carrots over the feta cream and drizzle them with the sweet chili sauce.
13. Finish by spooning the pesto over the carrots, allowing the flavours to mingle.
14. Serve immediately and enjoy the harmonious blend of savoury, tangy and fresh flavours.
This recipe serves as a delightful side dish or can be enjoyed as a vegetarian main course. Feel free to adjust the quantities of the ingredients according to your preference. Bon appétit!